Financial Support

There are several ways in which students can receive financial support. The department offers funding in the form of employment, most commonly as a Teaching Assistant (TA), but also as a Graduate Student Researcher (GSR), or as an Associate Instructor (AI). To hold one of these appointments, students must be enrolled in at least 12 units and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0

Teaching Assistant

TAs are employed at either 25% and 50% time (10 to 20 hours per week), and currently receive a monthly stipend of between $1114 and $2228. In addition, TAs receive remissions covering most of their in-state tuition (see the page on tuition remission).

Associate Instructor

AIs are in charge of instruction for the course, and for supervision of Teaching Assistants. An AI is employed at 50% and receives a monthly stipend of $2334, and receives the same tuition remissions as a TA.

Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)

GSRs are hired by a faculty member to conduct research. They are employed at either 25% or 49% time, and their monthly salary depends on how advanced they are in their degree. Those who have not yet advanced to PhD candidacy are appointed at Step 4, receiving between $1021 and $2001 per month. Students who have passed their PhD Qualifying Exam and advanced to candidacy are appointed at Step 5, receiving between $1089 and $2134 per month. GSRs receive full remissions on their in-state tuition and on their non-resident supplemental tuition.

Research Training Group (RTG)

Domestic applicants to our Ph.D. program can also apply to be supported through our NSF-funded Research Training Group (RTG). Students admitted into the RTG usually receive a competitive stipend fellowship for the first one or two academic years, with full tuition remission, followed by a teaching assistantship thereafter. For more information about the RTG, please visit our RTG page.

Non-Resident Tuition Fellowship (NRTF)

The department also offers a limited number of fellowships to cover non-resident tuition costs, which currently stand at $15,102 per academic year. These fellowships usually cover the NRT until a student advances to PhD candidacy, at which point their NRT costs are reduced to zero. Domestic students who are not California residents are also eligible to receive the NRTF, but are expected to obtain California residency by the end of their first year.

Financial Support from the Office of Graduate Studies

Internal Fellowships

Graduate Studies administers several fellowship programs, which are usually applied for at the same time as application for the program. Details about these fellowships can be found on the Graduate Studies website.

Travel Grants

Graduate Students who are planning to travel to conferences and meetings can also apply for travel awards. These awards are given twice a year, and range from $250 (for travel within the state) to $1000 (for international travel). Applications are made through the graduate program; details can be found on the Graduate Studies website.